<$BlogMetaData$

Monday, May 09, 2005

Are We Really Who We Think We Are?

I had an exciting evening yesterday! I went back to the restaurant to work as waitress, after 2.5 years! The reason I quit then was because I cannot stand being scolded for nothing, or having to meet some irritating superiors and of course because my dear Dad doesn't want me to work there anymore. ( He doesn't know that I am working since he is in China)
Although I left there for 2.5 yrs, the idea of going back had never left my mind. Not only the pay is not bad and timing is flexible, but also because of 1 thing. I wanted to prove 1 thing.

From observation, I realised that I am and was the only undergrad there. This seriously amuse me alot. My co-workers used to be poly students, aunties and Malaysians. My co-workers now are aunties, Malaysians and PRC. I realised that many people in my social circle thinks that waitress/waiter is a "lower-class" job. You have to serve customers, do the so-called "dirty" jobs. Perhaps this is an issue of self-esteem. Many undergrads, supposedly the "elites" of the society, feels that they should be doing a more "high-class" job than serving people. Whereas, my co-workers, do not have this mentality. I guess this is the main reason why I am the only undergrad there.

I am not trying to despise anyone nor am I saying that "Hey! u know? I am different leh" I had this same mentality 2.5 yrs back! Whenever I was reprimanded or being ordered around, my mind was like " Why am I here allowing people pushing me around?" " All these people are not capable at all, what rights do they have to treat me this way?" blah blah blah.... But after I left, I heard many people complaining that " What so big deal about undergrad?" saying undergrad are pampered kids of the society, without actual social surviving skills. This really set me into thinking. "Perhaps what they said are really true."

That's why I am back to the restaurant. I like to be in the service industry. I don't see it as a "low-class" job. I enjoy the satisfaction you get. But too bad people around me are rather disapproving with this. Most importantly, I want to prove that we undergrads are not pampered kids! We do have the survival skills required! Now that I am back, I am really determine that whatever happened in the past between me n my superiors, will not repeat itself.

Lastly, my thought of the day:
To all those who thinks that serving people is a "low-class" job, allow me to say this, no jobs are "lower-class" than others. You may not want to take up certain jobs, but please do respect those who had taken what you deem as "low-class". For they took pride in their jobs as well.

For those who goes around thinking they are more superior in the society, I have some words for you -- You are the Truly Low-Class species of the society.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home